The ESP is pleased to announce the 2017 Giulio Jori Research Scholarship which is provided by an endowment set up in honour of Giulio Jori, the leading light in the founding of the European Society for Photobiology and a pioneer in the initiation of many of its activities.
The funds are derived from voluntary contributions and the endowment continues to be actively built up.
Giulio sadly passed away in late December 2014.
Applications for the scholarship are welcomed from now to the CLOSING DATE of 28 FEBRUARY 2017
One scholarship annually providing up to 6000 € to cover travel and living expenses associated with visiting a research laboratory in another country for a period of 3 months.
To promote a research career in photobiology for young scientists of high potential, particularly from less privileged countries, and to enhance collaborations between research laboratories.
- The fellow and sending senior scientist should be ESP members at the time of application. An associated 1000 euro is available to the host institution for the fellow’s research consumables if the hosting senior scientist is an ESP member at the time of application.
- The fellow and the hosting and sending senior scientists must jointly write and sign the research plan and both senior scientists must endorse the candidate.
- The fellow and the hosting and sending senior scientists must jointly write, sign and send a final report to the ESP within 3 months of completion of the visit.
- Any publication or presentation derived from the research visit must acknowledge the "Giulio Jori Research Scholarship of the European Society for Photobiology".
- The fellow should present the results of the scholarship at the next ESP congress - as an oral or poster communication as decided by the congress organising committee.
Awardee (the following are prioritised):
- High potential for a photobiology research career
- Up to 35 years old
- From a less-developed country
- Young Faculty members, followed by postdoctoral researchers, followed by PhD students
- Potential for future enhanced collaboration of participating laboratories
- Strength of the research plan
- Evidence of strong commitment to the success of the project by the sending institution, such as through a letter by the Institute Director
- Appropriate budget
- A letter of application from the candidate identifying the sender and host scientists and their respective institutions and including a statement of purpose justifying how the scholarship will facilitate the candidate’s future career in photobiology research.
- CV of the applicant
- Research Plan, developed and signed by the fellow, in agreement with the sending and hosting senior scientists
- Itemised Budget of up to 6000 Euro, which may be used for (i) accommodation & subsistence of up to 1500 Euro/month and (ii) travel expenses
- Letters of endorsement of candidate (by sending and hosting senior scientists) including an endorsement of the research plan and evidence of committment by both institutions
Applicants are kindly requested to merge the above listed documents (Application contents) in a single PDF file. (Many freeware programmes are available for this purpose on the internet).
For any question about the submission procedure, please contact Francesco Ghetti (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please follow the procedure below to submit your application to the ESP Education and Training Committee